“Silken tofu stands in for eggs in this tasty quiche, studded with bits of cheese and crisp broccoli, with a lemony kick. Frozen puff pastry produces a tasty instant crust.”
8 1/2 oz Frozen puff pastry, 17.25 ounce package
1 Tbs nonhydrogenized vegetable spread
1 ea Leeks, trimmed, washed, white parts only, thinly sliced
2 cup Fresh broccoli florets
1/4 cup Water
16 oz Tofu, extra firm, silken, cubed
1 oz Hannaford Inspirations Lemon Pepper Marinade
1/2 tsp Inspirations Monterey Citrus Pepper Rub
1/4 lb vegan cheddar cheese
1/4 lb vegan mozzarella cheese
Note: Use 1/2 of a 17 1/4 oz. pkg. of frozen pastry puff, thawed. Also for the broccoli florets, remove as much of the stems as possible. Cut the cheese into 1/2 inch bits.
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place thawed puff pastry in a 9-inch pie plate and fit the crust to the edges. Set aside.
2. Melt vegetable spread in a large skillet over medium heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until leeks are sftened and golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Add broccoli and water, cover skillet with lid or a sheet of foil, and let steam-cook until broccoli is crisp and tender, about 5 minutes.
3. In a blender or food processor, combine tofu, marinade and Citrus Rub. Blend until smooth.
4. In a large bowl, combine vegetables, tofu mixture, and bits of cheese. Mix well.
5. Pour mixture into puff pastry crust. Bake at 425 degrees until crust is golden brown and filling is set, about 30 to 35 minutes. Cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve hot, warm, or at room temperature. May be refrigerated for up to 3 days.
*Adapted from Hannaford’s fresh September-October 2008.