2 cups garbanzo–fava bean flour
1 cup potato starch
½ cup arrowroot
1 tablespoon plus 1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
2 teaspoons salt
2/3 cup coconut oil
1 1/3 cups agave nectar
¾ cup homemade applesauce or store‑bought unsweetened applesauce
3 tablespoons pure vanilla extract
grated zest of 1 lemon
1 cup hot water
Preheat the oven to 325°F.
1. Line 2 standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, potato starch, arrowroot, baking powder, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt.
3.Add the oil, agave nectar, applesauce, vanilla, and lemon zest to the dry ingredients and combine. Stir in the hot water and mix until the batter is smooth.
4. Pour 1/3 cup batter into each prepared cup, almost filling it.
5. Bake the cupcakes on the center rack for 22 minutes, rotating the tins 180 degrees after 15 minutes. The finished cupcakes will be golden brown and will bounce back when pressure is applied gently to the center.
6. Let the cupcakes stand in the tins for 20 minutes, then transfer them to a wire rack and cool completely.
7. Using a frosting knife, gently spread 1 tablespoon vanilla frosting over each cupcake. Store the cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Borrowed from BabyCakes NYC