1 large lemon (juice and rind)
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
6 tbsp vegetable oil
1 tsp vinegar
1 tsp vanilla
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix flour, sugar and baking soda.
3. Grate all of the lemon rind into a large liquid measuring cup. Cut the remainder of the lemon in half and squeeze the lemon juice into the measuring cup. Add water to the rind and lemon juice until you have filled one cup. Pour the lemon juice mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients.
4. Add oil, vanilla, and vinegar. Mix well (mixture will foam.)
5. Pour into a lightly greased 8 inch cake pan. Bake 25 minutes, or until cake bounces back a bit when you touch the center.
6. When the cake is completely cool, slice and half in preparation for the raspberry filling.
You may use raspberry jam, but for a more adventurous endeavor…
1. Cook approximately 2 cups of frozen or fresh raspberries with 1/4 cup of water and 2 tablespoons of sugar in a small saucepan. Puree the raspberry mixture and return to saucepan.
2. Add 2 teaspoons of cornstarch to a bit of water to become liquid. Add the cornstarch mixture and heat until the raspberry mixture become thick. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.
3. When cool, spread filling on the bottom layer of the cake.
4 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 cup soy margarine, softened to room temperature
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons soy milk
Mix frosting ingredients until smooth. Spread frosting on the cake and sprinkle with coconut.