First, prepare Vanilla cupcakes (use oil variation). Recipe found at left.
Make the vegan cream cheese frosting:
1/4 cup nonhydrogogenated margarine (softened)
1/4 cup vegan cream cheese (softened)
2 cups of confectioners’ sugar
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1. Cream together the margarine and cream cheese until just combined.
2. Use a handheld mixer to whip while adding the confectioners sugar in 1/2 cup batches. Mix until smooth and creamy, then mix in the vanilla.
3. Keep tightly covered and refrigerate until ready to use.
Finish the cupcakes:
1/3 cup espresso or strong coffee
1/3 cup Kahlua or other coffee flavored liqueur
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
12 chocolate covered coffee beans or chocolate chips
1. Mix together the espresso and Kahlua.
2. Use a measuring spoon, a regular teaspoon, or a paring knife to carve out a small cone in the center of the cupcake. Place spoon about 1 inch from the center of the cupcake, then dig the spoon in about 1 inch deep and cut a circle around the center. Carefully, scoop out a cone, trying your best to keep the chunk as intact as possible.
3. Pout the Kahlua mixture in the cavity of the cut cupcake, making sure that all sides of the cavity are drenched, using up to 2 tablespoons of liquid per cupcake.
4. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the vegan cream cheese frosting you prepared earlier into the cavity and smooth over with the back of the spoon. (Make sure to reserve a few tablespoons of frosting to dallop on top of the cupcake). Dip the bottom of the cut out chunk into the Kahlua mixture, but keep the top part of it dry. Place the cut out chunk on top of the frosting and gently pat it into place. Continue this process with the remaining cupcakes.
5. Place chocolate and cinnamoninto a small strainer and dust over the cupcakes. Dallop a small amount of frosting on top and place the chocolate covered coffee bean on the dollop. Let sit for about 10 minutes and serve. Makes 12 cupcakes.
Borrowed from: Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World